Fortunately, the one-year-old wasn’t in the cot when the event occurred. The unit belongs to a supply chain manager who needed to be understood solely as Mr David.
Savills, which handles the condominium, clarified that it was a case of impulsive glass shattering, in which glass toughened by heat breaks alone. It was the 12th such event in the estate over a span of five years.
The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) disclosed that it’s received a mean of 15 criticisms of shattering glass annually over the last four years, from a total of 25 condominiums.
This is to ensure the broken bits will be held together in case of spontaneous breakage.
Since building plans for such developments were submitted before July 2011 but these regulations don’t apply to estates including the Trizon.
Nevertheless, it carries the danger of shattering that is impulsive, as a result of growth of nickel sulphide crystals within the glass as time passes.
“This may cause spontaneous breakage if the glass is later heat- ” he said. The inclusion of nickel sulphide is among the common reasons for such breakage while it cannot be readily found by technology or seen with naked eye, said Singapore Safety Glass company development manager Gary Lee. Other reasons may contain “edge damage or surface damage (of the glass) from management or setup”.
Fong Kim Choy, deputy president of National Safety Council, proposed installing film on glass obstacles at home which can hold smashed glass together if required. “You cannot prevent shattering — it’s the nature of glass making he said. “But what we may do is if it shatters prevent damage.”